Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Not a real update

I know you are all waiting on pins and needles to hear my update from Dr. G...(kidding)...but they were out of the office on Friday and then yesterday I found out that my genetic report was faxed to someone else so the ob/gyn had to re-fax it to the correct number and now today I am expecting a call from Dr. G. Though, he did answer my email...so I'll update later/tomorrow.

In the meantime...did anyone else take DHEA? or try to take DHEA? I had to tell Dr. G that I just couldn't do it anymore. I've heard from hundreds of women who took this with great results and had no symptoms at all. I, on the other hand, had every one in the book, plus a few not listed. I decided to stop it on my own and then told my RE, because I considered just lowering the dose to 1/3 of what I was taking and he said no way, just get off it entirely. So, if you do start taking it, here are some of my side effects - the first week I noticed that I couldn't sleep barely at all. Hard falling asleep and hard staying asleep. I then started getting awful headaches (way worse than those famous lupron headaches!). I figured I could handle this until the side effects stopped affecting me. Then I noticed that although I am exercising and eating healthy, I gained 10 lbs in one week! Okay, still willing to stick with it for the good of quality eggs! However, I started noticing my hair falling out more and more (no, not in clumps, but just lots of hair coming out), and then, last, I started getting heart palpitations. Within one day of going off of it, I had no headache. Started sleeping better the next night...and am so much lighter and less depressed. So, if someone recommends this for you, think about it...and pay attention to how your body reacts! I mean, it is over-the-counter health food store stuff, but it seems to have some serious effects! Oh, and in 3 days, I've lost 5 lbs. It must have been water weight?

More later...

1 comment:

DAVs said...

If it makes you feel any better, Dr. M re-confirmed to me that DHEA is really more about improving response to meds and not really about egg quality. I can send you a copy of the email if you want the specifics of how/why she said it improves response, though it might just be a matter of opinion.
But, you gave it a good shot and those side effects sound awful. And you have good response to the meds, so in the end, maybe it won't matter...plus you'll feel better!