Monday, June 22, 2009

Surprise ultrasound

I had a really bad start to the day today. I went in this morning for a progesterone and estradiol test to my local RE's office. At about 12:30 I was shopping at the hallmark store for a card for a friend and got the call from CCRM about my bloodwork results. The nurse asked me nicely when my ultrasound was scheduled. I said Friday. She said she'd like me to go in early. So I said, what is wrong? were my levels bad? She said, well, we asked them to run e2 and p4 and instead they ran HCG and P4 and your HCG level is a little low. I started shaking. I said, how low is a little low? she said 592. I put the cards on the counter and made a dash for the car before I started crying right there. It took us a few minutes talking - because, for those of you who are unaware, that level of HCG at the date I am indicates that I don't have a baby at all or I lost the baby already - until I said, could they have taken the estradiol level and accidentally mislabeled it "hcg" on the fax? She said she'd call them and check and call me back. She did...I called Brett sobbing. She called back and told me that they aren't sure...and they will run my bloodwork again immediately including an HCG this time. I wasted no time in calling my local clinic and ordering an immediate u/s - CCRM wanted me to wait until tomorrow but I didn't care. They got me in at 1:30 at which time they said it was a mistake and my estradiol level was 592, not HCG...I still wanted the u/s. Well, folks, so far so good....




Unbelievably, it was supposed to be too early for a h/b but there it was- one beautiful h/b! I guess there is still a chance that there is another sac hidden behind that unusually large one (right?)...but so far, it looks like one super fast growing healthy baby! I'm a little saddened that we likely lost one...I really did get attached to both of my blasts this time...a little too attached...but I am thrilled with our big beautiful baby:-) Of course, the baby itself is tiny but the sac (and you can't see it on this scan) is like already 3/4 the size of my uterus. We got the oldest and worst u/s machine at the RE's office so we couldn't see much - couldn't even really find my ovaries - so I'm not saying much at this point - but there it is. Thank God. What started out as a horrible painful day turned beautiful.

11 comments:

Jill M. said...

OMG Sue, your post scared the crap out of me, I can't imagine how scared you were! I'm sorry you had to go through that, shame on the lab. I wish your nurse would have called your lab to make sure it was correct before calling you. As if your anxiety about this pg wasn't high enough on its own.

I'm so sad with you, and quite shocked that they only saw one. Surely the other one was hidden, I hope! But, congratulations on that one beautiful HB!!!! I can't wait till your next u/s! Hugs

Sky said...

I think you know this already but that old RE you went to is a DISASTER! They screw up the label on the test (personally, I would have tossed my cookies right on the staggered Hallmark shelves!) and then their u/s machine produces grainy images and they can't find an ovary. Holy smokes!

Thank goodness you left them before they botched you up good. Ugh!

Honestly, once you don't need them anymore, you should consider writing a short note to the partners because those kinds of errors are inexcusible. And good thing you caught on - I would have been clueless and assumed it really was a beta result.

But looks like you have an awesome little guy in there with a nice strong ticker!

Paula Keller said...

Oh, how scary! I'm glad it worked out!

Me said...

WOOOOHOOOO!!!!

Anonymous said...

So glad there was a happy ending and an early ultrasound out of the deal, but SERIOUSLY how they can get the most basic things wrong sometimes--ugh. Really scary, especially when one's mental health is hanging in the balance . . .. I'm suppose some comfort they aren't in charge of surgeries or something or they'd cut the wrong foot or arm off of someone.

A said...

You just scared the crap out of me!!! SOOOO glad it all turned out okay! I cant believe they screwed up the test labels- That is absolutely horrible and they made you freak out for no reason. But on the bright side, you got to see little one early!!!!

DAVs said...

Yikes! That reminds me of when the NP told me my dad's stroke was NOT SURVIVABLE and yet here he is, surviving. I'm so glad you got to see a heartbeat already! CONGRATS!

Anonymous said...

How scary, how utterly scary. I am glad that all seems to be well - and it I got attached to all of my embyros too and felt a sense of loss/sadness for all of the ones that did not make it.

((HUGS))

MovieMania said...

Wow - how can they make such a horrible mistake .....
congrats on the heartbeat :) Am glad things ended up at a positive note

Phoebe said...

I'm glad it was a mistake and everything is ok! That's great you got in so fast. And congrats again!!

DonnaPetit said...

I have to wonder why this office is still so popular. I'm also wondering why you haven't completely lost your mind when dealing with them. How could something so simple get so completely screwed up???? Yes, it all worked out perfectly in the end, but you and Brett went thru hell.

Is there a possibility of just probation for an assault charge? I'd love to go slap that doctor silly.