Monday, December 20, 2010

xmas pic and a question: PIO or supps?


So, I can't let a single post go without mentioning infertility, so lets get that part out of the way. Which did you do, PIO or Suppositories? Which was successful for you? Do you feel strongly about either? My story is that I did suppositories first. Then I got pregnant with what now is known as the ectopic. Well, my beta was low (18) but so was my P4, so we had a mad-dash to several pharmacies locally to get me on the PIO ASAP, because that 18 may have resulted in a baby, we didn't know any better, right? Since then, I've been scared of anything but the PIO...however, I did try another suppository several cycles later. The dreaded Crinone. Now, if you think that sticking a 1.5 inch needle in your butt daily is bad, try shoving something up your who-ha that seems to separate and feel like you are literally walking around packed with packing peanuts and styrofoam. Seriously, I remember sitting in a warm bath (I DO NOT advise this, it seems to make the styrofoam grow!) and crying about this and then dying for beta day so I can stop doing it. Then I again went to progesterone suppositories with my first CCRM cycle, at which point, a day or two after ER, I ended up at the office for a horrible yeast infection and ended up on the PIO again, so I gave up and did the PIO for the next (successful) cycle. So, I am leaning towards the PIO. However, my nurse keeps saying that there is a new suppository out there that is less irritating and that she can't see why I'd prefer the daily giant needle in the butt....what do you guys think? I usually have DH give it to me and, yes, I hate it...but it works. Only once did I have to give it to myself and after much agony, it wasn't so bad. Really. But, I wouldn't mind the suppository if I felt that I'd get enough supplementation. What are your thoughts?

I do have a long post coming up. Needless to say, the holidays are always an issue in our family and, so far, I've been uninvited to Christmas Eve dinner at my mom's though she still plans to be at my house on Christmas Day as if nothing had happened...Ugh. At least, I hope she doesn't end up ruining our first wonderful Christmas with our daughter. But, as we all know, she couldn't REALLY ruin it...because I have this incredible, funny, beautiful daughter that brings so much joy to her mommy and daddy, regardless of what anyone else says or does...
Anyway, some pics...






10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such a beautiful daughter! I was on both PIO and the endometrin suppositories for this cycle/pregnancy. I struggled with low P4 levels and then had to quickly find PIO as things were looking threatening. If I had to do it all over again...I'd do PIO. The butt shot isn't too bad I thought...just rub/massage really well after the shot and then sit on a heating pad for 20 minutes every time and this seemed to lessen the agony of the sore muscle afterward from the needle. I am weaned off PIO now and weaning off endometrin now and I will be SOO glad to get rid of the endometrin because of the disgusting discharge two/three times a day...panty liners are necessary!! Plus they tell me over and over again that endometrin is not easily quantifiable in the blood stream and thus its hard to know what the blood level is. So stick with PIO...that's my two cents! Cheaper too...these tablets cost a fortune...a $100+ a week. And I'm at week 10 now...so pricey.

Pie said...

She is so lovely! Those are such great holiday pics!

As for the PIO/suppository debate, I am firmly in the PIO camp. First off, I hate the oozing, leaky, overall yucky-in-the-lady-bits feeling. I'd take a shot any day over that. And I do think PIO is better absorbed by the body than the suppositories. And easier to measure via bloodwork if it is being absorbed. So I vote PIO all the way. And I self-administered all my PIO shots, I found them less painful than when DH did it. The allusion of control I guess.

Kris said...

I would totally do the PIO unless you have big issues with them once you start using them. I never had an issue with them...no big blotches, they didn't hurt and they were easy for my hubby (who doesn't like needles) to give. Can you start using them and then potentially switch and start using the suppositories if you have an issue with the PIO? Besides, I found it better to do one shot/day in the arse rather than leak a suppository all day long :0
Love the pics!

Anonymous said...

Ohh, love the Xmas photos-- she is heart-meltingly gorgeous!

I did the Endometrin supps and while the leaking was a little annoying I didn't find it too bad, just wore a liner. For me it was easier to cart around the inserts than needles when I was out and about.

My main problem (sorry if TMI) was that the inserts HURT at first... almost went to PIO for that reason but once I started using Astr.oglide with the supps (on my CCRM nurse's reco) it was fine.

Connie/sp08

Angie said...

OMG, you totally read my mind!!! I have been obsessing about this since I emerged from the fog of earlier today! My nurse said they would give us the prog support....well, they gave me Crinone! Once I realized it this evening, my mind has been racing. I even asked on the board about it vs. PIO.....so now after reading your thoughts and the comments, I am emailing our nurse to ask her to call in a RX for the PIO ASAP tomorrow!

T is such a cutie! Love the pics!! Enjoy the holidays with your daughter and hubby, no matter what!!! :)

Bird said...

Awwww man. I have the suppositories. I'm wondering if i should ask for PIO right now instead of later when it may be too late.

Anonymous said...

I am an avid follower of your blog and just wanted to add my 2 cents on the PIO vs. suppositories debate. I much prefer the PIO and I have only done the Endometrin and PIO, never the Crinone. It seems like the Crinone is even more gross. The first time I did IVF I wound up with big lumps in my arse but the second time I guess we figured it out. I would just have my DH stick me and then immediately hold a heating pad there for about 10 minutes and voila, no lumps! It did get a little sore but I'd honestly rather put up with that over the disgusting oozing all day. My RE did switch me to endometrin after a certain point and then I was done with it all at 10 weeks.
Best of luck with your upcoming transfer and your daughter is adorable!

Leah said...

I used p4 suppositories twice a day for 18 weeks!! It worked and my levels were good. It is goopy and gross but not painful. I've used pio as well and it was painful with no better results. Good luck!

Sky said...

PIO - all the way!

If someone is terrified of needles then they're better off with the suppositories but I found them to be more gross and I always felt like I had a yeast infection coming on and my underwear (and hoo ha) was coated in that stuff. No way!

My last cycle was PIO and I'm glad I did it. And this is coming from a woman who gave herself every single PIO needle (and every other needle throughout this IVF journey).

Lost in Space said...

Oh Sue, she is just so freaking adorable! Love the pictures and her big beautiful eyes!