Tuesday, March 16, 2010

busy and happy

I haven't posted in a while because I am just busy being happy. I am busy waking up every 3 hours at night to wake up my beautiful little girl and feed her. I am busy just sitting still and staring at her face and the weird little expressions she makes...and wondering if that smile is still gas or is she learning to smile for real (so you know- its gas and I'm delusional). I'm busy changing her diaper 10 times a day and laughing when she poops on the changing table, or in Brett's hand on her way to the bath. I'm just in awe. I don't mean to be gloating because I know a lot of women who I support and who have supported me who are still struggling with IF but I have to share my happiness in this blog too...and I am happy...and tired...and my nipples hurt!

Breastfeeding is going really well. When Teagan was born, they gave her back to me after about 15 minutes (when they checked her out b/c of her short moment of shock) and she immediately latched on and nursed like a champ. Since then, she's been a great eater and has been growing well. However, she's got a very powerful suck and bite and ouch! I know breastfeeding can be painful in the first few weeks and I did have sore and cracked nipples for the first week or so but I bought some Lan.sinoh and have been consistent with using it and the nipples have recovered until this week - now they are just sore. However, as much as the lactation consultants say otherwise, this is also considered normal and any day now, my poor breasts should recover and get used to all this new action and I should be good to go. I seriously hope so. I love breastfeeding! Love it love it. I haven't even opened the pump yet. I love it so much I don't mind setting a timer and waking Teagan up every 3 hours at night to feed (another week of this and then I can start stretching it out unless she starts waking up on her own). I can't describe the joy of it and it makes no sense to me when my nipples are literally so sore that I can't even wrap myself in a towel after a shower, or even touch them with the towel to dry them. I should hate it, right? But, the fact that I can feed my little girl and that she looks to me for that...it is just such a beautiful thing!

Besides sore nipples, there isn't much going on here. Brett is an awesome dad already. He soothes her so much better than me! With me, she wants soothing in the form of a boob...with him, she can relax and take a pacifier or just snuggle in and calm down. It is the sweetest thing to see. He's also been on the rough end of some diaper accidents, lol. At the photographer's house, he got pooped on twice. At Teagan's bath time, he gets peed on almost daily (little girls also pee when exposed to the air, just so you know). And, the funniest was when he was changing her a few nights ago and she pooped on the table with such force that it shot into the room - hitting his jeans and cell phone and carpet and even me, who was walking a couple feet behind him. Lol. She is powerful:-)

Also - for those of you who are cloth diapering. I did have to use newborn disposables for a few weeks. She was just too small to fit in the Bu.m Ge.nius 3.0's right away. I finally started her in them yesterday and they are huge- I will have to post a pic tomorrow or the next day - but they work great. To be honest, her tushy was getting a little red and the redness has definitely gone down in the last day or so, so I think they doing the job. They are just gigantic on her little tushy. So, if you have a 6lb baby, consider the fact that you may have to buy into disposables for a week or two (or three). We really didn't want to...but I think they may have helped with the transition home in the end. And, we had no choice, she was just a tiny little thing and would have drowned in the cloth nappies!

9 comments:

Paula Keller said...

So glad things are going well!

Kinda feeling sorry for my nipples already. lol!

Seriously though, sounds like things are fantastic!

lastchanceivf said...

So glad you are literally loving every second of it! Can't wait to see pics!

Caroline said...

Ahhhhh - so glad to hear that you are so happy. I feel your nipple pain (although mine has improved a bit). These babies are so precious!
I was walking with the pram today and I had to keep pinching myself to believe that I really have a daughter! It is amazing...Enjoy xxx

Jill M. said...

So good to hear an update from you and to hear how happy you are!!! Sounds like things couldn't be any better. Keep us posted on what works for sore nipples and how the cloth diapering goes. Can't wait to see more pics of your precious little Teagan!!!

Barefoot said...

So happy to hear that things are going well! Sorry about the sore nips -- I remember well that feeling of not being able to use a towel after a shower....good times. Looking forward to more pics!

Libby said...

I think it's sweet that you are loving being a mom - and a milk supplier :) I've never heard any of my friends gush about the first couple of weeks. It makes me wonder if IF makes one that much more appreciative. Whatever it is, good for you!

Lost in Space said...

You are truly living the dream, girl. So thrilled for you!

Anonymous said...

Sue, it is so great to read your posts-- glad things are going so well for you! Please keep posting :-))

Connie

Linda said...

I am so happy for you! Reading your post reminds me of when my baby - I am still in shock that I can say "my baby" - had what we called 'projectile poopies'. My DH did the Matrix move to avoid being hit. It's amazing how much force little newborns have!

I'm still breastfeeding from the breast. He's 4m20d old & I'm not emotionally ready to give him the bottle. He hasn't even had the pacifier either. I started pumping when he was 2 months old. Before then, my nipples hurt so bad that just looking at them hurts! I used olive oil & it really helped me.

Again, I'm so happy that you're happy!